In this topic, we will try to explain, summarize all the aspects of Electric Vehicles especially cars and also try to point out its pros and cons for the modern society and how it will benefit us in near future. Firstly, electric vehicles are those kinds of vehicles that run on an electric motor instead of an internal combustion engine which requires fuel and gas.
If we look at the present-day society then we will find that electric vehicle cars are still quite alien to us because we already have such reliable sources for running our cars and bikes which is petroleum but the question is how long these resources can be used? Ultimately, after some decades all these resources will completely be exhausted and regeneration of these resources take millions of years. So, Electric Vehicles are the surely need of the hour.
The history of Electric Vehicles is also quite a roller coaster. Around 1832, Robert Anderson develops the first crude electric vehicle but till the 1870s electric did not practically come into the market. Between the years 1832 – 1870, many people indulge in an electric vehicle making like Thomas Davenport, Robert Davidson, Anyos Jedlik, and so on. Thomas Davenport made a toy electric locomotive, powered by a primitive electric motor, in 1835. In 1838 Robert Davidson built an electric locomotive that attained a speed of four miles per hour (6km/h). Well, mass production was started in America in the early 1900s but due to limitations of storage batteries at that time, electric cars did not gain much popularity. Other electric vehicles like tow tractors, forklift trucks, ambulances, and platform trucks gained immense popularity which runs by electric motors. In 20th C.E the UK was the largest user of electric road vehicles.
Electrified trains were also a great name in electric vehicles which were used for heavy works like transporting coal from extraction site to requirement site or market. If you are searching for Driverless Train then have a look at How does a driverless train work. In 20th C.E electric vehicles saw a rose but after some point in time electric vehicles gradually declined. Some of the following factors are :
- Improved road infrastructure because it required greater range which could not be offered by electric cars.
- Cars which can run on fuel and gas have seemed preferred choice for the majority of people
- People were not well aware of electric cars and just stick to their old choices.
- Slow charging time was also one of the biggest issues.
- Electric cars did not have wide ranges or specifications which could easily found in conventional cars.
But in recent years trend seems to change when a business giant Elon Musk did incredible works for Tesla, an Electric car manufacturing company and he is the CEO of Tesla since 2008. He is so innovative and hardworking that he constantly worked on electric cars despite knowing that electric cars have almost no share in the market but his all hard work paid off and now his company Tesla valued over 700 bn dollars which makes Tesla worth more than Toyota, Volkswagon, Hyundai, GM and Ford Combined. Now the insight of people getting better because they came to know that after some point of time fuels will exhaust and electric cars will be the future of automobile industries. But everything has two aspects, a negative one and a positive one, so electric vehicle cars also fall in this category.
So I would like to highlight pros and cons of Electric cars .
PROS/ ADVANTAGES of Electric Cars:
- Low cost of running: The cost of electricity required to charge electric vehicles is not even 50 percent of the cost which use petrol for a similar vehicle driving the same distance and one more thing if you charge your vehicle from solar P.V system then cost will reduce to almost 40 per cent from 50 per cent.
- Low cost of maintenance: Electric vehicles have fewer parts than conventional cars which consume petrol/diesel and because of that factor servicing is relatively easy, less frequent, and overall cheaper than a petrol/diesel vehicle.
- Less pollution: By driving an electric vehicle car, we are helping and protecting our environment by reducing harmful air pollution from exhaust emissions, and fortunately, E.V has zero exhaust emissions.
- Better for our health: Driving an electric car is good for health for generations to come because electric cars don’t release harmful emissions and pollutants which can cause severe diseases to us.
CONS / DISADVANTAGES of Electric cars:
- Recharge stations: Electric charging stations are not in plenty amount and still in development stages so long drives can be a big issue if your car is not properly charged and maybe it can be stuck in the middle of the drive.
- Limited range and speed: Electric cars still don’t have large ranges or varieties, unlike conventional cars. In speed element, most of these cars have a range of just 50 -100 miles and needed to be recharged again. However, it is expected to improve in the near future.
- Less capacity of seats: The electric cars available today are comparatively small and 2 seated only, so they do not seem much worthy for the entire family.
- Long charging time: Electric cars we have now can take up to 12 hours to fully charge, depending on the battery size, so, electric cars offer saving petroleum but it will increase your electricity bill to some extent.
After analysing all the points of electric cars we came to know that electric cars will be a big player in the automobile industry in near future and after few more decades we can see electric cars and other electric vehicles in our surrounding. All we need just a little more efforts and up-gradation in electric vehicles and their allied fields.